The “Mindrolling Monastery” is one of the famous places in Dehradun and is known for its beautiful architecture, impressive interiors and peaceful surroundings. This monastery is an unnatural beauty surrounded by greenery due to its gardens, university campus and the tallest stupa in Asia. It also houses several religious rooms, Tibetan art forms and murals. Along with this, the presence of a tall statue of Lord Buddha here attracts the attention of every tourist. Nestled amidst the serene foothills of the Himalayas, Mindrolling Monastery is one of the largest Buddhist centers in India, attracting thousands of visitors from within the country as well as abroad.
- “Mindrolling Monastery”one of the six major monasteries of the Nyingma school in Tibet was founded in 1676 by “Rigjin Terdak Lingpa” , re-established in 1965 by “Khochen Rinpoche” with a group of monks in Dehradun was.
- This monastery is not only a tourist attraction but also a destination where nearly hundreds of persons attain spirituality on a daily basis. Being an architectural masterpiece with many squares, the monastery is nothing short of a surprise to see.
- It is claimed that many workers worked hard for the construction of this great monastery and it took about 3 years for the completion of this structure. This monastery is very famous for the architectural work which is displayed in its structure and interiors.
- The Buddha Temple complex was built as one of the four schools of Tibetan religion. It is also known as Nygma, while others are known as Sakya, Kagyu and Gelak.
Architecture of Mindrolling Monastery:
- The monastery has many paintings and carvings that beautifully depict events from the life of Lord Buddha. One of the largest Buddhist institutions, also known as Nagyur Nyingmma College, is a part of the monastery where monks are trained to preserve the teachings and pass them on to future generations.
- At present, 300 monks are taught in the monastery. It is built in Japanese style of architecture with the Stupa, also known as the Great Stupa which was inaugurated in 2002, is one of its major attractions. Its height is 220 feet and width is 100 square feet.
- Being the largest stupa in Asia, it is also surrounded by greenery. Its architectural style is heavily influenced by Japanese art and architecture. The beautiful monastery houses the idols of Lord Buddha and Guru Padmasambhava.
- The first three floors have ornate gold-coloured wall paintings and an open platform on the fourth floor offers expansive 360-degree views of the Dehradun Valley. The monastery has a total of 5 floors and the fifth floor is open for tourists and visitors only on Sundays.
Best time to visit Mindrolling:
The best time to visit Mindrolling Monastery is between April to June which is considered as the peak time for tourism in Dehradun. As the climate is pleasant with a beautiful and calm atmosphere during this time, it is definitely a wonderful and enjoyable time to be here during this time.
How To Reach Mindrolling Monastery:
Mindrolling Monastery is 4 km from ISBT Dehradun. It is situated on Delhi-Saharanpur road. Tourists can easily reach the monastery by hiring a local auto or a local bus. The nearest Dehradun railway station from the Math is about 9 km. and Jolly Grant Airport 31 km. is at a distance.